Sunday, December 3, 2017

13.1


Thirteen can be an unlucky number for some. There are no 13th floors in some skyscrapers. Horror movies are named for the 13th. And, there is even an official term for many people who fear the number thirteen :: Triskaidekaphobia.

But right now, thirteen is a sweet number. Yesterday, I ran 13 miles for St. Jude. It was my 3rd time and maybe my last...we'll see, I said that last time too. The race is so special to me and I love being a small part of fundraising for St. Jude.




I really love running but for some reason long distances never get easy, at least not to me. On long runs, I get in my head about not being fast enough, not training enough...just not being enough.

This year I really wanted Matt to run with me. He has run several half marathons, and I decided, on my own, this would be the coolest way to celebrate our wedding anniversary this year. I told you 13 was a sweet number, and on 12.4.2017 we will have been married 13 years.

So, I had this vision of us running in together-- 13 miles for 13 years. Too cute right?!






Unfortunately, I didn't listen to what Matt wanted, which was not to run 13 miles. You see he doesn't love long distance running. But, he signed up anyway because he loves me, even though I ignored him.

In the end, he didn't train and he really didn't want to get hurt or be miserable by making himself run.

What he did instead was grab his bike and followed me all around Memphis to cheer me on. He took my sleeves when it got hot, gave me GU packs when I was depleted, supplied fresh headphones when batteries died and told me I looked strong when I felt very, very weak. He was there for 13.

Yesterday, I was given a great anniversary gift. I was shown for 13 miles I am enough for him and he is enough for me. We can do what we love individually and magically it can be for each other.

I don't have to write a perfect day in my head, because we already have all the imperfections that we love about each other, that make us our own version of perfect. Making it thirteen years is about showing up... when you're sad, hurt, angry, lonely or glad...you're still there. Some days are like mile 12,  you feel done, you haven't trained for this and you want to retreat, but then you look up and he's there with water and says...you look good, and you make it to 13.

Happy Anniversary love. Thank you for showing up, and for bringing headphones.

1 comment:

Dianne Larson said...

That was beautiful.