Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Back to School

Part of the fun of going back to school is decorating my classroom.

Every May, we have to take down everything and pack it up, so it truly feels like a fresh start every August. As some of you know, I was in a portable last year and did not enjoy it. So decorating was not as fun. I did the best I could for a trailer.



Needless to say, this year I was especially excited to plan my big bright shiny room in the building.

I didn't want to put up my same tired posters and rules. I mean they are 9 years old now. NINE YEARS OLD. I have been teaching long enough to go to college and graduate TWICE, and switch my major once or twice.

Around the same time I was planning my room, I was also developing an unhealthy obsession with Pinterest. Which is chocked full of ideas for decorating and such! And a slew of inspiring quotes. Which I decided would be my theme this year. Because what more do you need in music class then inspiration.

One kink in my decorating fervor is that our school got painted this summer. You would think that was great because all the walls look shiny and new. But alas, what it means for teachers is-- no tape on the walls. Or glue or stick tac. Nothing. So you have to be super creative about putting things on display. We do have bulletin boards that we can staple into, but only two.

My solution was to have my amazing graphic designer, a.k.a. my husband, design great posters to go with my uplifting quotes. Then I would have them blown up large enough that I could hang them from the ceiling with clips. Well Matt did his part--above and beyond. Seriously people, he is amazing. Then I jumped online to Kinko's to send the files over for printing. That's when I discovered color posters are 39.99 EACH. Dude. Unacceptable. Long story short, after some shopping and a handy dandy teacher badge we got them printed at Office Depot for about the cost of one at Kinko's!

So here you go. My new class. My theme is:: inspiration in turquoise, spring green and yellow, with black accents.



Sorry for the glare, darn fluorescent lights....

Happy school year!!

1 comment:

Al said...

I'm so glad you're in a real building! And those quote posters are super duper cute!