Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Worried Wednesday

My name is Mary, and I am raising a bully.


There it's out. I didn't mean to raise one. I don't know why it is happening. But for reals, she is the class bully.

Let's back up. August 1st-August 5th was the first full five day week Wesley had to go to daycare since May. She went all summer but only 2 or 3 days a week to keep up routine and allow me some errand/free time. All week, the first week back, I asked how her day was she informed me that she had to sit in her cubby. Which means time out. When I asked why she always told me the truth "I hit Micah." "Why!" "He's a baby." Everyday. By Friday, since none of her teachers had informed me that this was really happening, I had myself convinced that this probably only happened once and she was just retelling me everyday because it was now routine.

Monday August 8

Me: "Wesley, How was your day?"
Her: "I sat in my cubby."
Me: "Why?"
Her: "I hit Micah."

Yikes. So Tuesday I decided I needed to talk to her teachers and clear this up. Surely she wasn't hitting and getting a time out EVERYDAY.

Tuesday August 9

Me: "Is Wesley having a hitting problem?"
Sandra (with a laugh) "Yeah"
Me (appalled) "Uh, like everyday?"
Sandra (with another laugh) "Yeah"
Me: "Were you going to tell me?"
Sandra: "Eventually, but I got it, she's 2! She's just getting back to the routine I'm not worried."
Me: "I am!"
Sandra: " Nah, she's just the oldest (in her class) and she has learned she can take stuff from the younger ones and when they cry, she hits them."
Me: 'Oh, so it's not a hitting problem, she's a bully."
Sandra: more laughing

That afternoon Wesley and I discussed how it was not okay to take things from others, and how we do not hit. I told her if her teacher told me she hit tomorrow she could not play any dress up or have any of her princesses that night. She agreed and said she understood.

August 10-15th NO HITTING!!!!! WHOOOO HOOOOOOO

I am an awesome parent. I nipped it in the bud. My child will behave at school or else. Pat. On. Back.

August 16th

Me: "Hey Wes!"
Miss. Lauren: "Ohhhhh Wesley are you going to tell Mom what you did......"
CRAP
Wesley: shake of head
Me: "Did you hit?"
Miss Lauren: "Oh no, she didn't hit. She grabbed ZZ by the cheek and pulled her around the room"
Double CRAP
Me:"Go give ZZ a hug and tell her you are sorry"
ZZ: runs away saying no!
Oh man.....

So no princesses, tv, or dress up at all that night. And she seemed to know why because she kept exclaiming "I said sorry!" But I was making a point.

I am headed to get her in an hour. I haven't had any phone calls today so at least I know she hasn't shanked a kid. But seriously, what am I suppose to do here. I can't believe my sweet angel baby, that feeds her fake princesses apple slices is the class bully!


2 comments:

Al said...

I can't believe that sweet girl is a bully! Say it isn't so. Maybe those other kids just needed to be put in line???? Go with that...

Darrin said...

If it makes you feel any better (not sure this will...) one of my colleagues has a super-precious daughter, being raised by his tiny, cute, publicly meek Indian wife. During her first year in daycare (she was at home fulltime years 1 and 2) she got thrown out of 2 daycares for hitting & bullying. At age 3. So, it's not just you. But yeah, best to nip it in the bud before Wesley gets known around the Memphis daycare circles.