Friday, October 7, 2011

Lawyered

I've often told my lawyer friend that we think Wesley may grow up to be a lawyer, because she "lawyers" us daily. Was that enough lawyers in one sentence? Anyway, she asked me for an example, and of course at the time I couldn't actually think of one.

See, Wee doesn't argue like a normal 2-3 year old (so far). No screaming tantrums (yet). No flat out saying "no" to Mom and Dad (up to now). Her favorite words are "maybe" and "I was just....." Lawyer.

So here is an example that happened today.

We were on a walk and I was addressing Wesley's recent penchant for arguing. We talked about how if Mommy or Daddy says "no," we don't need to discuss it anymore. I told her we were adults, and children do not question or argue with adults. I asked her if she thought she was being a polite princess when she argued. I mean, do princesses fuss at their parents?

Her response:: "Ariel told her Daddy no."

Lawyered.

She's not even 3 yet.  Crap.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hahah! Reminds me of my niece when she was about 8. She'd declined repeated invitations to pick up her room and her parents finally decreed that, for every day when her room remained un-picked-up, they would put some of her toys into the attic indefinitely.

And so began about a week or so until there were just a few toys left in her room. As her parents stoically gathered them up to go into the attic, Niece calmly said, "That's okay. I still have my imagination. And you can't put THAT in the attic."

Lawyered.

Except that now she's a... 4th grade teacher!