Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Who says your not perfect?

I started blogging again for a few reasons. One of them being because in December I received the best gift ever, a super sewing machine that embroiders. So I have started monogramming and appliqueing. As I try a new design or do a project for someone I try to grab a picture to document my progress and advertise what I can do. But I am noticing that every time I look at the pics, all I can see what is wrong with my work.

Is this normal? Other crafty, sewy friends....do you feel like you ever get it perfect? I feel like I am so careful when I sew and still something will happen. a stitch will skip, the hoop will jump, the t-shirt bunches etc etc etc. The worst is when I unhoop it, and it is just slightly crooked, ugh! And at some point soon, I don't want to blame the needle or the thread, I just want to get it just right.

Am I being too picky? Matt contends that I see things no one else can see, but I know they're there.

I also think I have a speed problem. Since I was little I have always like to finish first. It's why I have horrible handwriting and speeding tickets. So am I just rushing? I really really try not to. When I skip steps, I always do it to be more efficient, not sloppy. I am just looking for ways to improve the process, not do shoddy work. It sounds like I am admitting the problem, but I swear I have tried doing everything slowing, even some steps twice, and I still have mistakes.

I guess I just needed to get that off my chest. As more people order, I get more and more nervous about not being perfect. I don't anyone to ever be disappointed in a project they have paid good money for.

Until then, I will slow down and try hard.

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Be aware-this is long but I totally feel your pain, so I will ramble!
I felt the same exact way at first, and still do sometimes! We see the smallest things that nobody else would ever even think to look at! I got so frustrated at first because I wanted to be great at it right away; but, it definitely takes time. I learn something new every time I walk into a local sewing shop or read a new blog post. Then, I see things that other people have done on their big, nice, 6 needle machines, and have to talk myself out of throwing my machine out of the window!
Somethings that have been a HUGE help to me (besides realizing that a single needle machine, while still nice and expensive, is limited) are:
-Rosemary Gulledge's blog (appliquecafeblog.com) She gives wonderful tips and my work has improved tremendously since reading her blog. She has a great post about hooping and stabilizer!! I promise her blog will change your life! :)
-Medium Cutaway Stabilizer in individual 8x8 sheets = AMAZING
This is a tip from Rosemary and it is what I use for almost everything. I believe I ordered them from sewingmachine.com like $15 for 200 sheets!!
-Spray Adhesive works great and makes hooping so much easier! Just spray the stab. and put it on the shirt and hoop the shirt and stabilizer!!
-Water Soluble Sulky Stabilizer = BFF when doing towels, blankets, or anything of that nature. Hoop it on top!
-Heat-n-Bond Lite. My best tip! You iron it on the back of the fabric before you tack it down and when the applique is done stitching out, iron in again and let it set. It does take extra time but I don't skip the step bc it helps so much! My fabric doesn't fray and I don't have bubbly looking appliques!

I hope this helps! You may even know all of this already, but it was great information for me to learn!

Mary Elizabeth said...

Thanks Lindsey! That does make me feel better. I didn't think about my little 4x4 machine not being the same as the others. I just thought it a smaller field, but I guess the one needle thing would make a difference.

Thank you for the tips too! I do use the pre cut cutaway stabilizer, and water soluble for towels and blankets. I have used the heat n' bond, but have to admit not always. Sometimes my designs are so small I'm not sure if it matters. But I do on a patch. I use spray adhesive on everything to keep my little fabric bits in place.


I think I really need a bigger machine ; ) to do everything I have in my mind. But we'll see....