Wednesday, March 21, 2012

New Orleans Part Deux

Monday morning we had reservations for a Jazz brunch at The Court of Two Sisters. It was a buffet, or should I say buffets... There was so much food I seriously wish I could have been more hungry (I almost wished I hadn't eaten that white chocolate bread pudding the night before, but then I remembered how tasty it was...). Seriously, so so good. Anything you could wish to try in New Orleans was on this buffet AND it was so yummy.

My favorites were the eggs benedict, grits, homemade biscuits and the coconut cake (stop judging me). The fresh mimosas were a nice touch too!

After we had eaten ourselves silly, we headed over to the World War II museum on Magazine St. The 11 block walk, in the perfect weather, was just what I needed after such a great meal. 

On the way I saw this very modern skyscraper that seemed to be swallowing the old fashioned building below it, and just had to get a picture. I have no idea what either building is, it just looked crazy to me.


The museum was fantastic. It was highly recommended on all travel sites, the concierge and trip advisor. But, to be honest, we were wary. Matt and I didn't want to get into something too heavy on "vacation." But we both love history, and museums, and learning ( I know I hate us too) so we went for it.

So good! It really focused on D-day, in particular, and I learned so much. Like I said, I love history, and WWII is just too big to ever understand fully, so it was great to focus on the pivotal battle and really take it all in. The exhibits were very interactive and so easy to learn from. In other words, you weren't just reading information blurbs by a statue. It really connected the dots on how each country got involved and how/why we entered the war.

The horrors of war can be so easily ignored by my generation, but even so the museum didn't really make you feel guilty or overly sad. It actually made me feel very proud of our country and again so thankful of the service men and women. 

We weren't allowed to take pictures in the actual museum. But in the lobby there were several modes of war transportation to explore. Even a 60+yr old plane (2nd pic) that someone actually flew to New Orleans last year and then donated to the museum. I found that fascinating.







After the museum we hoofed back to the French Quarter to catch our city tour bus! 

Tune in tomorrow to hear more on our New Orleans adventures and how white people are obsessed with Nicholas Cage...


1 comment:

O.P.T. out (Old Person Thinking Outloud) said...

Can't wait for the 3rd installment. This is very interesting.