Saturday, March 31, 2012

Goodbye New Orleans

So, even I am sick of the New Orleans posts, so I assure you this is it. But I can't leave the story unfinished, for posterity sake.

Our last day in New Orleans was really only a morning. We had time to eat two more meals and get in a couple tourist sites.

I hate to admit we failed miserably at breakfast. I think our stomachs were just plain mad at this point and nothing sounded good. We wandered the French Quarter until we finally gave in and just grabbed coffee and oatmeal at PJ's Cafe, which is a local chain (oxymoron I know). I hate eating at chains in a new city, but our wallets and our appetites needed a break.

Then we headed to the open market. It was a miniature flea market, with crap you can haggle over. I haggled for a brown leather cross body purse, that I have been eyeing. It started at $35, I obtained it for $20. I should of pushed for $15, but I was hot and it was crowded.

 We then noticed a line forming at Central Grocery. Which just happens to make the original muffuletta. A ridiculous sandwhich. Like awful for you. A traditional muffuletta consists of one muffuletta loaf, split horizontally. The loaf is then covered with a marinated olive salad, then layers of capicolasalami, pepperoni, emmentalerham and provolone. It. Was. Awesome. 



Matt and I split a half of one (1/4 each for you math whizzes out there). And we were so full we could barely walk. I have no idea who could eat a whole one. The little Italian restaurant by our house makes them and I am tempted to get another to compare, but I can hardly justify eating like that ever again, especially not in my own living room.

We ate our sandwich in Jackson Square and caught a little more of the flipper show from the day before. We also got a glimpse of this guy. Can you spy a stilt walker?


Ane found a nice man to snap the only picture of the two of us in NOLA.


Our final adventure was back in City Park. I loved it so much on our tour, I really wanted to pass through one more time before we hit the road. We toyed with the idea of going to the Art museum, but realized we only hand an hour and didn't want to run through the exhibits. Next time.

In the park, my main goal was finding the elusive black swan our guide had mentioned. I did find him, but in my attempt to get close enough to get a picture, his cousin the white swan almost took me out.




So that was our trip. I think we packed a lot into 2 days. We want to thank my mom for the amazing Christmas present, and the childcare. Where should we go next? DC? New York? Toronto?





2 comments:

O.P.T. out (Old Person Thinking Outloud) said...

Sounds like a fun trip. You are both very welcome and I was very happy to do it. I love my trip so much I wanted you to get to go. The childcare part was just a little present for me. I treasure every moment with her. My suggestion? Miami!

Julia said...

Toronto was fun - we went in October of 2009. We flew to Buffalo and rented a car. It's a couple of hours drive around Lake Ontario. If you go, stay a couple of days in Toronto and then drive back to Niagara Wine Country (Niagara-on-the-Lake) and the Canadian side of the Falls.