Monday, April 2, 2012

Why can't you believe?

This is a follow up to an earlier post Why I can't believe? that I wrote at the beginning of the Lenten season. So now we are at the end--Holy Week.  It is a time to celebrate that Jesus died for us and rose from the dead three days later. This is the miracle. This is the story. He died. He was dead. And he is now alive, fully alive.  But I am skipping ahead.

First I want to quickly recap the arguments against believing, that our church went through in preparation to hear the Good news that is the most difficult to believe (Resurrection). This is not to preach at you, my 6 readers, including my mom....this is for me.


**Sorry to be so self -centered, but this is my blog, it is my way of journaling and remembering my experiences. I include all parts of my life on here.


**True confession, I do hope if you DO have arguments against church, this does help, or at least gets a jumping off point for conversation.

Okay, disclaimers over, here we go. I'm just going to include the highlights that I took from the sermons. If you want more on the topic, I included a link to the podcasts from each sermon. And I am happy to have a healthy debate with anyone.


Week 1:: There cannot be only one true religion (click here for audio of sermon)

  • All major religions are basically the same and lead to the same god. This is disingenuous because you are saying doctrine is not important, and yet it is a specific doctrine. This way of thinking seems humble and yet it is very arrogant. You want all religions to abandon their beliefs.
  • We all see parts of one whole truth.  Who gets to say we only see part of the truth? Who has seen the whole truth? If you think all religions/demnominations have part of it right you are assuming you know what is all right. When you say all religions have part of it right....you are admitting yours is wrong.
  • When others are mad at Christians for trying to "convert" they want to convert you to not convert (did you follow that one?) 

At least Christians are honest. We are called to share the gospel. When people use any of the above cop outs they are pushing their agenda as well, but doing it under the guise of trying  not to offend anyone.

Week 2:: Why would a good God allow suffering and injustice.  (click here for audio of sermon)


The points that struck me most this week were

  •  If we believe that something is unjust or wrong, we are admitting we believe in justice and right which points to a benevolent being,
  • God did not shield himself from suffering. He endured ultimate suffering and sacrifice through Jesus. Even Jesus asked why and looked for a way out. If he had spared himself pain, it would be harder to believe in him or to trust him.
  • We see put a pixel of the screen God is watching. It doesn't make it better when you are hurting, which you have a right to do, but you must find your purpose and satisfaction in him.



Week 3::Racism and Homophobia in the Church  (click here for audio of sermon)


Ahhhhh, we have reached my sticking point. I cannot support a religion that calls us to love, when it has so much hate. This one is a great sermon to listen to, because I cannot express anything like our pastor, for one, nor can I remember all the amazing points he made. (PS a lot of his explanation came from Tim Keller's book "Reason for God" which I cannot wait to read, after I finish "Kings Cross" same author.)

But a few of things that hit me and made me go "YES EXACTLY!"

  • You don't go to hell for being LGBT just like you don't go to heaven for being heterosexual.
  • My sin is the same as your sin, if he can love me I can love you. 
  • Using the bible to discriminate and judge doesn't fault the bible it faults you
  • The "church" has hurt so many, we must be better Christians, deeper in the grace of the gospel to overcome that.

Okay this is getting kinda of heavy and dense so I'm going to break there. The next point is Science vs. Religion and it was my favorite so I'll give it it's own post.

Again, if any of this stirs you please email me or comment or something, let's talk. I am so new at opening up about "religion" I would love to hear from others. Or better yet come to church with me. We meet at 9, 11 and night church-IN A BAR, so you can grab a beer as you debate : )

No comments: