Thursday, August 23, 2012

Freezer Meal Bandwagon

So, I have a 3 1/2 year old, and a dog, and a house and a husband and a job and a church and a sewing habit and and and and and.......

Ans it's starting to win. You know it is right? It's the stuff, all the stuff that I have to do, and want to do and LOVE to do, it's winning. And let me tell you what is losing, my meals.

Over the past month (since I went back to work) I think I have cooked 4 meals total. My goal has always been 4-5 home cooked meals a week, this is 4 a month. Not good. Not good for anyone.

So I have officially jumped on the slow cooker-- make ahead-- freezer-- meal bandwagon. For our wallets and our waistlines. I have been looking at the idea for a while, but many slow cooker ideas involve cream of______ soups and bottles of ketchup or BBQ sauce. And while I love those things, it is 2012 and we all know we can't/shouldn't eat packaged foods all the time. So the mommy guilt kicks in, because I want to feed my family fresh produce, but I don't have time to do it.

Enter mamaandbabylove.com ! She has taken the time to plan healthy REAL FOOD recipes that freeze well and go together. By go together I mean (this is the BEST part) the cookbook gives me a grocery list for 3 of her recipes, they are by no means the same, but they have coordinating ingredients. So things don't get wasted, which happens so often when I buy expensive produce. So I bought her cookbook (and for only $5.99 btw)!

And I did it this week. I made SIX meals in one night, with one trip to the grocery store (well two, because I forgot freezer bags, duh!) I peeled and chopped for 2 hours and in the end I have 6 healthy meals.

Please ignore the glow sticks in my freezer, Wee is obsessed and we learned if you put them in the freezer when you are done with them each day, they last forever : )


So that's my spiel, it's not a new concept, I'm late to the party. But I'm so glad I finally jumped on!

No comments: