Saturday, February 16, 2013

Fasting from Fishing

During this season of Lent I am fasting from Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Don't worry,  I don't think social media is fundamentally evil or anything, but I am worried about what I am turning it into because of my own hang ups. First, I check it way to much. I get obsessive without even realizing I'm obsessed, just by having it on my computer screen constantly, or clicking on my phone every time I have one second of down time. It had gotten ridiculous, yet I couldn't stop. 

The next issue is downright embarrassing, but I'm trying to confess it honestly. I found myself getting a little too excited over likes and comments. I think encouragement is great, but I was checking for it instead of just enjoying the kind words. Almost like I was fishing for compliments. There I said it. I was looking for approval. And that is not why I should be sharing photos or life. If I want to use social media to keep up with my friends and families then I just need to enjoy the community not seek happiness through other peoples compliments. In other words it was a false self-esteem booster that quickly faded. 

My hope is by fasting from these things I will break the habit of constantly checking, and wean myself from the need of digital approval. Then when I go back to social media in 40 days, I can enjoy it for what it is and not make it too important in my life. We'll see.

Meanwhile, I am still going to be blogging. I know that is still a form of social media, but like I said in the beginning, this blog is for me and my family to keep up with our ever changing lives. So I still want to document holidays, happenings and Wesley's antics on here. What I am going to do is turn off the comment section during Lent. 

If I want community and friendship I need to make the effort with email, phone calls and get togethers, not just clicking the thumbs up on someones picture. And I need to look for the same thing in return and not get overly excited about a "like."


So after that heavy post,  here are a few sweet pictures of Wes on Valentine's day to enjoy if you wish.






No comments: