Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Looking for a Quiet Spot

As most of you know already, we have some dear friends staying with us for a few months. This started back on February 1st. It has been crazy and loud, but awesome and exciting at the same time.

This living arrangement has been especially great for Wesley. Being an only child means she doesn't really understand compromise in her home yet. She goes to daycare and sunday school and I believe she understands sharing means caring, but not having to share her actual house and Mom and Dad for so long meant she just didn't get selfless behavior. And we really couldn't make her understand by ourselves either. I mean, why would I refuse to let her sit in the chair she wanted at dinner time, or not go into the bathroom at that very moment, or not pick the tv show she wanted to watch at tv time?

Well, all of those issues are regular occurrences now so she has had to learn to take turns, be patient and respectful of others. And it has been challenging for her. She was used to being the only girl in our world. I'm really glad she is having to adjust her reality in this way at this age.

All that being said, it is really nice when we have little pockets of time together and it is quiet and just us. Having eight humans in your house most of the time makes you really appreciate the moments it's just the two of you. That happened this Saturday afternoon when the weather was just warm enough to get outside and breathe! So Wes and I went to Home Depot and grabbed a pallet of flowers and got to work on the backyard. We planted yellow and purple pansies everywhere we had an empty spot. Then we just sat on the deck and hung out. It was great.

 After awhile I decided I should probably shower for the day. When I got out, my house was eerily quiet.  I went looking for all the little noise makers and this is what I found.



It made her seem so grown up! Ollie's set up wasn't a shocker, but Wes just sitting in the sunlight reading made her like a teenager to me! 

If this is the result of this crazy experiment I couldn't be happier. I love that the chaos is teaching all of us to enjoy the quiet moments. And I love how quickly we have come to love the chaos. Soon after this moment Wee wandered the house asking for her baby and Mrs. Ash-a-leigh and Jack and Charlie. She loves them and I love that.