Monday, March 18, 2013

George Washington Ate Here

Well, we went to Washington D.C.  And it was lovely. Here are the highlights of our whirlwind 3-day tour.


  • We left at 5 am Monday morning and I was such a cheerful traveler. Especially after 2 1/2 tranquilizers to help me fly.

  • We arrived in Baltimore around 1:20 Eastern time, and I had to catch a bus to our Capitol. I was throughly travel sick and my husband was kind enough to break his lenten vow and post this picture on Instagram. He said I was sleepy, but really I was concentrating on not throwing up on other people.
  • But we did make it to our beautiful hotel, and I did recover quickly once we stood still for 5 seconds. 

  • After a teeny tiny nap, I freshened up and we headed out for the National Mall.

Quick stop to pat my heroes on their back 
We made it! 
Manly Monuments {hehe} 
Mr. Lincoln, breath taking in person, very solemn place.

Korean War Monument, this was my favorite war memorial on the Mall

Crazy feeling to stand in the spot where this speech was delivered!

  • After our monument amazement had worn off, we headed to Georgetown to do a little shopping and get dinner. I didn't take any pictures there, sorry. I promise the H&M was way exciting, and the Ethiopian food was delicious!

  • Then came pretty much my favorite part of DC {not really, but kinda} It was a service called Capitol Bike share.  DC is a very compact city, and with 175+ stations, that means you are always within a block of a bicycle for rent to get you quickly to your next location! No, they didn't pay me to say that. But seriously, it was so handy. Everything we wanted to get to was usually within a couple of miles, so grabbing a bike was the cheapest and fastest way to travel. Plus you got to see the sites up close as you went place to place.

  • That mini commercial was all to express how cool it felt to leave dinner, hop on a bike and head back to our hotel. Biking through a busy city really makes you feel like you fit in. I know, I'm a dork. 



  • That ends Day 1, and since this is already longer than I meant it to be, I will stop now, Museum Day tomorrow!