Monday, March 25, 2013

Washington Day 2 &3

So this is going to be a very quick wrap up of the rest of our trip to D.C. Not because it wasn't fabulous, but more because it's taken me two weeks to finish this post, and more important things have since transpired!

So Day 2:

Museums!! We made it into the National Museum of American History soaking wet and barefoot, but it was worth wading through the water. This is the museum that houses the first flag, things George Washington really did eat with, wear and go to war with, and almost all of the inaugural gowns! Many exhibits had a strick no photo policy, but here are a couple of gems.

The ruby slippers from Wizard of Oz

Michelle Obama's gown from 2004
Next we made it to the Newseum. A museum dedicated to the history of reporting history. News is the front line after all. This museum was 7 stories, and almost impossible to get thorough in one afternoon but we saw so many amazing things. The highlights were the 9/11 exhibit, including the radio tour from the top of tower 1. The decades of original newspapers breaking histories biggest stories (some incorrectly!)The largest piece of the Berlin wall in existence. And the most extensive collection of Pulitzer Prize photos, which was the most emotional part of the museum for me, it's amazing how much emotion, horror, and truth good photographers can capture. If you are planning a trip, this museum is a must see.
News chopper 
FBI exhibit

Top floor of the museum with a gorgeous observation deck




After our museum day, we grabbed bikes and did a swing by the Obamas house before we cleaned up for dinner. Funny story. Check out the difference between these pics.



Yes, one is much closer than the other. I may or may not have biked a little closer than I was suppose to. No worries, I quickly moved away as the men with guns approached. I don't think I legally did anything wrong, I was just in the way of traffic to and from the White House. 

Other side.

From there we freshened up and headed for drinks and dinner in Dupont Circle. I'm sure it is a fabulous neighborhood, unfortunately for us the temps quickly started dropping at sunset, so we didn't see much of it we just found a warm place to eat and grabbed a cab to one more quick monument. The newest monument in Washington. 




It was very well done. I loved the way he seemed to be coming out of the stone. I wanted to walk the the Jefferson monument from there but Matt assured me we wouldn't make it before we froze to death. So instead we took a cab to the hotel.

Ok, I lied. I do have more to share about Day 3... I'll try tomorrow. But I can't promise there won't be an Olivia photo day soon!