Monday, May 13, 2013

Diary of a Bad Runner:: Week 1

Well, I am officially signed up to run my first half marathon on December 7th.

It's not just any race, it's the St. Jude Marathon series, one of the most noble causes I can think of. Helping sick children get better while simultaneously not asking families to worry about paying a dime, kinda awesome, eh?

Before I start this post, here's my quick plea for support. My goal is $500. I have already raised $210! Please consider heading over to my page and donating $5 to a beautiful cause. The money all goes to St. Jude (of course) and it has really encouraged me to train harder when people publicly and financially support me.

Ok, on with the diary.

I am the very worst at running. Like the worst. Sometimes I start panting in the first mile. Truth. Even after years of couch to 5k programs and dedicated "training." After multiple charity races and even a summer spent at Shelby Farms with running coaches. I suck. But I love running. I do. I feel powerful when I am plodding along and gasping for breath. I love being outside and playing mind games with myself to get to the next intersection. I like how I feel after making it 3 miles without passing out.

So how is the very worst runner, who is stuck at the moment at 3.25 miles per run, going to get to 13.1? With you of course. There is something to be said for accountability. No, I'm not going to be posting every run on Facebook and twitter. Although, I know why we all do that, because you should be proud if you got up and ran when you really just wanted to lay down and watch the new "Nashville" (so good, right?!?)

But no, I'm going to be honestly reporting my journey here periodically. And I'm looking for some feed back. Not unearned praise, but maybe your tips and tricks. And maybe someone else who thinks they are the worst runner ever can feel encouraged. Cause that's why I'm trying it this year, because so many of you said--hey, you're not so bad, you can do this.

Training week 1:

Today:: I will run 3 miles on the treadmill at the Kroc. The goal will be 11 minute miles. I have been stuck at 11:32 for awhile so I would love to get it down to the minute.

**Here's a pro tip for those who are slow runners like me. Embrace it. I ran Saturday and kept running out of breath and energy, only made it 2.5 miles. When I checked my splits I was running 9:30 miles. That's why I had zero stamina. I am just a slow pace runner. But I'd much rather run 4 miles in 50 minutes steady, than 2 miles in 18 mins and have to stop. Anyone disagree? What should I be pushing for if my body seems comfy at 11:07 (5.4) on the treadmill?

Wednesday:: I'm going to cross train, either elliptical or bike and then weights.

Thursday:: Going for 3 more miles, treadmill, but maybe back at the 11:32 pace to take it easy.

Saturday or Sunday my first "long run" will be 4 miles long. Preferably outside and prolly real slow, my goal will be 12 min miles.

So that's the plan. Keep me honest. And let me know if you've been here before. What helped you get over the humps the most? 

P.S. Favorite song on the run this week : "All I do is Win"



2 comments:

Melissa W said...

I'm running it too!! Well...as soon as I sign up. As far as being a bad runner, I can definitely relate. I have found that running outside has been a huge help to me...

Leeanna Irwin said...

That's awesome! You give me hope that maybe I can one day run the half. I am just starting to run, actually just starting, never have been a runner. My goal is the Le Bonheur Pumpkin 5K in October.