Friday, July 19, 2013

DIY:: Home Updates

As you know, we live in an old house. Which makes quick fixes that normal homeowners take care of on a Sunday afternoon, giant ordeals to us that have to wait till I have summer break. 

Take this minor hole from an old towel rack that had fallen out of the wall.  Just get a quick wall patch kit and fix it right up you say? What you can't see from the picture is these walls are plaster. So when I used the good ol' patch kit, it left me with a bumpy mess!




YUCK! The patch just wouldn't lay flat. I pulled it down and repatched with just plaster the second time.....slightly better






But now the problem is, I don't have the paint to cover it up, so I have to repaint the whole bathroom now. Another project for another day.

What I did paint on the other hand was Wesley's bedroom dresser. The white drawers where looking a little grimy, so I did a quick coat of rose pink and ta da!

This project went much smoother.

And finally we installed a new dining room light. I have never really liked the chandelier in the dining room, but it's not that offensive so it's taken me 4 years to replace it.

This is the best picture I could find of it, because I (of course) forgot to take pics before I took it down.

Like I said, nothing really wrong with it, just not my favorite. And we have gone pretty vintage in the dining room, with an art deco buffet, several mid century modern serving pieces and a early twentieth century piano. So the modern light fixture just didn't fit in.

Luckily I found a light I did like at the Habitat for Humanity Restore for just $7! I figured it was worth the risk for that price!

Here's Matt installing it in his work clothes because I had started installing it 10 minutes before he came home, thinking it would only take me 10 minutes....not so much. Nothing in our house takes 10 minutes.


All in!


Closer look

Detail 

So this is only 3 projects done (ish) from a list of at least 14! Some being as small as replacing dead outlets, some as big as wanting to knock down a wall in our kitchen. I have just run out of summer, and run out of will power to get in over my head.

What do you think? Any hints on how to get better at "This Old House"? Maybe don't start projects at 5:50pm? Hire professionals?








3 comments:

Melissa W said...

Love the new light fixture! I have several in my house that I'd like to replace, but I'm completely intimidated at trying to do it myself.

Anonymous said...

That light fixture is a total score - plus, the room looks way bigger with a flush-mount. Go you!! :)

Lauren said...

I have a new appreciation for home improvement these days. Keep the updates a comin'! Love the new fixture (I agonized over ours)!