Friday, January 21, 2011

Let's get Physical!

Like millions of others, I resolved yet again to get back to working out and eating healthy January 1st. It wasn't really a resolution, just more like getting back into life's normal routine after the holidays and in preparation for the spring and summer wardrobe.

But here is what I am noticing, I hate working out. Let me clarify, I love being outdoors, I love jogging and walking and biking. I love the elliptical machine, it makes me feel super human. I love any type of dance or step class with great music and friends. I hate building muscle. I hate lifting weights of any kind. I hate squats, they are particularly from the devil. And I HATE that shakey feeling in the middle of a "workout" when the trainer (tv) tells you to push through and do 3 more.

So right about now your thinking I should just do the parts I like right....well, here comes my problem with that. It's cold outside AND I have a toddler. Those two complications make all the kinds of exercise I like difficult. They require being outdoors thus putting your baby in the elements (bad parenting) OR making my husband take the baby by himself 3 nights a week while I trot off to the gym for a class or machine, when I haven't seen her all day as it is (bad mom).

So I should do a workout DVD at home right? Then I can do it in the morning before everyone wakes or in the evening while still spending time at home with my family. But all the workouts on DVD are squats and weights and blah blah blah. I can make myself do it about once or twice a week, then I am totally done with it.

This is what I need from you:

1.How do you find time to work out with work and family on your plate?

2.What do you do that you enjoy?

3.What motivates you to stick with it, because right now I'm thinking the extra 10lbs may just have to stick around....even though I despise them. What makes you push through for 3 more?

PS.I know the answer to all of these questions, I know what I should do. I just need to hear you say it. Maybe your way makes more sense and will get me off the couch.

1 comment:

Sissy said...

Get a pilates dvd. It's constant and actually does build and tone muscle. You can do a quick 20 minutes or go for a full hour if you have the time.

And here's what motivates me to make it through - proving to myself I can DO 3 more.