Monday, January 24, 2011

Mito Hero

This post goes nicely with my previous one. I mentioned that I like to "run." I never said I was good at it, I said I enjoyed it. I started running in college as a member of dance team. When you have to wear spandex uniforms in the daylight it gets you motivated to do a little cardio. But it was fun, because my best friend did it with me and we talked and the time passed. Then when Matt and I first got married we decided to run at least one race a month to stay healthy, we ran March, April, May, June and July....then not so much. We also trained for a half marathon and made it to 7 miles, but then my big toe turned black and we realized we spent all night, every night, running. No time hanging out as newly weds and we were miserable (from the excessive running, not the marriage).

So what I learned from these experiences is that I am a middle distance runner. I love running for fun. I will never win a race, or break a record. I will never run a marathon. And I am completely fine with that. I like to run, not to punish.

I am sharing this for a reason, here it comes. Because I enjoy running for running sake, and not just to watch my time. I like signing up for races that mean something. I want to feel like I accomplished something just by participating, not by winning. So for the past two years I have signed up for The Mito-What? 5k. It's not just a good cause, it's close to home. A very good (and talented) friend of mine organizes this race. She found out about Mitochondrial Disease because a girl in her dance class had a little brother with it. Turns out I went to high school with 3 of this little boys aunts and they are amazing people with outstanding faith. Angie did a little research and discovered there was no cure for this disease and even though every 30 minutes a child is diagnosed with Mito, not many people have heard of it. So she started to run for a cure.

This year there is a a program called Mito Hero. To be one all I have to do is raise $150. That means 15 people donate 10 bucks. It is similar to St. Jude heroes and the money goes straight to UMDF. I know there are so many worthy charities out there. And I know for a fact so many of you already give so much. So please don't feel obligated. I just know we can make a difference. And if you feel so led I would love to run for you if you donate. You can paypal my email address, or just write a check to UMDF. 

If you are a runner, you are probably better than me, and I would love to watch you run by on March 26th. It's only $20. Matt and I will be there!

No comments: