Sunday, April 17, 2011

Chattanooga: The final Chapter

After dinner on day one we went in search of a Target to get Matt some shorts because it was much warmer than we thought it would be in Chattanooga. He used his handy dandy GPS app which took us up Signal Mt. It was gorgeous. Only problem, there was a Quick Check instead of a Target at the top. So back down to the lowly valley Wal-Mart we went. Somehow going to a Wal-Mart when you are out of town is like the biggest best gift shop ever. It's as if none of us had ever seen mass merchandise for discount prices before. We quickly loaded up our buggy with DVDs, shorts, shirts, and most importantly SNACKS. I love a random packet of powdered donuts at 10pm on a Friday.

After our contribution to the economy of Chattanooga, we headed to bed, which took awhile again. At about 12:30 am I literally told my 2 1/2 yr old if she did not stop talking she was going to time out so Mommy could sleep. Michael was dead asleep and pummeling Matt in the other bed. So neither adult got much sleep again, but that's vacation!

Day 2
Lookout Mt.



Day two started much like day 1, rarin to go and LOTS of coffee. But this is the day I was so excited about. I love nature, I love hiking and climbing and being active outside so Rock City was my wheelhouse. Matt had been before but I haven't so I was definitely the most excited. Michael was relatively enthused and Wesley was just happy about her "princess" pig tails. Since my child is not afraid of heights and loves outside like her mommy I figured this would be an easy morning. I was 1/2 right. Half of Rick City was on top of the mountain, but half was a cave....duh duh duh: Yeah, that went over real well....
But all and all we had a great morning, I even went to the top of the Mt. and looked over with out crying!

Our final stop on the tour was the Tennessee Aquarium. Another shining jewel in downtown Chattanooga's crown. They have done a phenomenal job with this museum. Very well laid out, flows well with the large crowds of people and really great exhibits. My favorite was the otters. Here is Wesley giving the baby otter a high five.
I think Michael's favorite was the sharks, Wesley was just fascinated by the divers in the tank feeding them.
After we left the aquarium we grabbed some Ben and Jerry's (conveniently located directly across the street) and everyone piled in the car and got comfortable for the car trip home. Wesley needed to catch up with facebook after being "off the grid" all morning.
 
So that's the rap up. I have over 300 pictures from just 2 days! We had the best time and all of us really needed the getaway. I just love that Wesley is getting older and starting to enjoy these types of things. I love watching her see the wonders of nature and the world for the first time. It makes me take another look and appreciate the glory around us. If you are looking for a family vacation I highly recommend Chattanooga. We loved our road trip!

3 comments:

Al said...

My mom and I did a spring break in Chattanooga when I was young, and we loved the aquarium and Rock City! We still reference all the crazy See Rock City signs everywhere. Glad the adults survived the trip. Looks like everyone had fun.

Laura said...

I'm glad you finished the Road Trip posts...I've been staying tuned to see what happened!

Looks like Chattanooga's a pretty fun place and that you all had a great time!

O.P.T. out (Old Person Thinking Outloud) said...

Lots of fun!