Monday, April 18, 2011

It's so hard, to say goodbye

So I have these shoes. The are not expensive or glamorous. No, just some black, beaded ballet flats I randomly bought at Target one day on clearance. In fact when I bought them I thought to myself, "I don't think I have anything these will go with?!?" But I liked them. They were whimsical and they were $5, so they were mine.

Jump down the road seven years.....I love these shoes. I wear them to work at least once a week and many times up to 3 or 4. They go with EVERYTHING and they are broken in just right. It's like I don't even have shoes on at all, which is just the way I like it. I have gone through several inserts as I wore the insides out years ago. But I just keep wearing them.

Jump to Sunday.....I slip on  my favorite sparkly black ballet flats and head to church. After church I'm in the car thinking "What in the world is that smell, did Wesley spill milk?" No my friends, it is my shoes. They have just literally been worn to death. They died and our now decomposing. Notice the strings from wear the sequins and beads have fallen off.



But, but, but, but.....what am I going to throw on without thinking? What will mold to my feet and sparkle when I walk down the halls? I could not give up on them. I'll buy new inserts I thought. Yeah good new inserts. So instead of letting them go, I wore them again today to school. I just didn't want to admit they were done for. But during my 2nd grade class today, a child sitting on the floor near to me literally put her shirt up over her nose. She didn't say anything, but I knew. Oh, I knew.

Alas, I had to grow up and face facts. The shoes had to go. I went to the shoe store today and bought a new pair of black ballet flats. They are modern and sleek and smell like new leather, and not, well, feet.
They don't have sparkles, but they do have complete soles and backs, unlike my target shoes...

So that's the end of my bejewled, random purchase, favorite shoes ever. They are officially in the trash. I had to grow up sometime.

No comments: