Friday, April 15, 2011

Chattanooga Part Deux

So I promised a post finishing the story of the road trip. And now it seems so overdue it's silly to even do it...... but the reason I haven't done it, is because I have had really really long (and at some moments, horribly awful) three weeks. So I have decided I want to do this post so I can remember how amazingly awesome my life is and how much I love it and my family.

So here we go, when you last read about the trip we were headed out on St. Patricks Day. Here is a shot from the dinner stop. Chick-Fil-a was having a celebration and Wesley jumped right in!
You can kinda see the shamrock shirt I made for her as she is loving on the cow.

We made awesome time to the hotel in Chattanooga, well kinda good time since we lost an hour when we crossed time zones. The plan was to have both kids fall asleep and just tuck them in when we got there. What really happened: Wesley feel asleep outside of Nashville after I crawled into the backseat and rubbed her head and hands for an hour, then fitfully woke up 10 minutes outside of Chattanooga, and proceeded to meltdown for the entire 10 minutes. When we got to the hotel Matt and I literally bolted out of the car, he went to check in, I got her out of her seat to stop the crying. It is a horrible feeling to listen to your baby scream and know there is nothing to be done, you just have to keep driving to your destination. When we finally got a room (bad story, but ultimately resolved) we went upstairs and by that time Wesley and Michael were fully wired and rarin' to go, it was 11:30 PM. Not good. By midnight I was dishing out ultimatums and threats like they were working. And by 1 we were all asleep. 

Day 1 in Chattanooga

We woke up a bit groggy Friday morning, but we were so excited to be on vacation we quickly got over it. We got ready, ate some breakfast, drank LARGE coffees and headed up the mountain. Wesley and Michael were so excited. One of them stayed that way....use these pictures to guess who:




So, turns out Wesley is TERRIFIED of caves. The second we got out of the elevator, till the moment we got back on she was upset. Not crying the entire time, thank goodness, but alert and ready to cry the whole time. And when we finally got to the Falls she was a puddle. We felt awful for her, but there was nothing to be done. Once your on the tour you are there for about 2 hrs, you can't exit. We thought it would be a good experience to teach her to press on and overcome, it just taught us don't force a 2 yr old to be scared for 2 hrs, she will make you pay. When the tour was done and we could see the elevators that would take us to sweet freedom, then Wesley started to like the cave. She was playing with Michael, talking to people around us and posing for the camera. Just the picture of a precious angel:

We had lunch on top of the mountain, Wesley and Michael played and got out some energy. PS Wesley had no fear whatsoever of being on top of a mountain looking out across seven states. She was running and jumping at the edges and now I was the one on the verge of tears for fear of falling. I'm telling you it was calculated payback.

After lunch we headed into to downtown Chattanooga for the Children's Discovery Museum. It was FABULOUS. I love our children's museum, but Matt said it best, it's like comparing AAA to Major leagues. It was very well organized, clean, many many many hands on exhibits. Just cannot say enough. Here is a couple shots, I have almost 100 to choose from, that's how great it was


After the museum, everyone was way overdue for a nap. So we went back to our hotel, moved to our real room, and settled in. Wesley and I actually slept. Matt and Michael watched basketball. Eh, to each his own.

We we all woke up. We freshened up and headed to a local pizza place for dinner. It was called Lupi and it was awesome. I had been dieting that whole week before and this was so worth the every calorie! See how happy we are!
That ended our first vacation day! I'll post again soon, promise, about day 2!

No comments: