Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Pill popper

I've been in Spring Break mode, which would make you think I would post more..but really I do more so I post less. I have lots to post about, that's good. But first (In the voice of Julie Chen, Big Brother Fans), let me tell you about my first morning of Spring Break.

I like to schedule my check-uppy appointments on breaks, so I don't have to waste precious PTO on teeth cleanings and such. So Monday morning I had a follow up with the neurologist. See after I popped out a kid I started getting these ridiculous ice-pick-through-my-brain-like headaches about once a month. You'd think I could deal with that except it took about a week to get over them, so I was losing a 1/4 of my life to these stupid things (do you like my dramatics there?!?). So I went through that from December 2009 until October 2010, with some words to my OBGYN and normal dr. to no avail. FINALLY, when I woke up at 2 am with one and lost my dinner, I decided I was ready to call the big guns. I went to the head dr. we had the MRI, EEG blah blah blah. And he said "You have migraines." After 3 weeks of tests and lots of $$$, I wanted to say "No $%it" but I nodded and took my prescription like a good girl.

My prescription was for Topamax. Which is actually a drug for epilepsy, but also controls migraines. Skip to the end (Princess Bride voice), I made it 3 horrible days on it. It made me nauseous, horrible headaches, dizzy, and mostly dumb. No really, like I could not think of words. Called the Dr. apparently these are all possible effects. So he told me to stop taking the medicine. He called me in a new one. Elavil is an antidepressant, but at low doses it helps migraines. So I started that. Great! No more headaches! I had a follow up with him in a month, told him it was working he said "Great, but 1 thing...1 side effect is weight gain, will that bother you."Again, not the most perceptive cookie. Yeah, it bugs me. But for no migraines I'll take a couple of pounds. Plus, it's mind over matter right?!?! Right, he says.....

Skip to March. Check in. Weigh in. Weight up 10 FREAKING POUNDS!! Ok, not only is that shocking for 3 short months, but I have been working out! And I stopped eating in the cafeteria at school as a New Year's Resolution. I mean I am actually being good and I gained more than I gained after the baby!

This is not ok. He agreed. So he took me off the Elavil. But what about the migraines?! His idea, let's go back to Topamax, but down to half dose. Fine, anything. In the meantime I immediately stopped eating carbs and started the 17 day diet.

So I went on my merry way, dieting, upping the exercise and changing meds last week and I did shed some lbs quickly. Probably mostly water weight, because I can't drink carbonated beverages on Topamax, it makes them taste awful!! But whatever.

Skip to now. I made it on Topamax 8 days, and again I am not feeling well. Not as sick, but dizzy, slight constant headache and the bluhs.  I'm kinda against going back to the fat pill. And I can't be "off" all the time. So I think I'm ready to be done with "maintenance drugs" What do you think? Can I just wing it from her, and take a mac daddy pill when a migraine comes back? I don't want to be a constant drug trial. Anyone been through all this?

3 comments:

Brittany said...

Well, you know "Topamax worked for me"... I wish it didn't have all the icky side effects with you! I just got the good stuff, for the most part. But, have you tried just Imitrex for when you get the migraines? They had me on both. Topamax for maintenance and Imitrex for when it happened. The Imitrex tended to work for me too. It would at least take the awful, throwing up migraine down to "I just have a bad headache, but can manage" and then would go away within an hour or two. No matter what, I hope you figure it out soon! I know it's ZERO fun!

Lauren said...

Ugh, ME! I'm so bummed you have to deal with this! I've only had one migraine ever and it flattened me. I don't know how you deal with them every month...But I have had excruciating, my guts are being ripped from my body abdominal pain and nothing does the trick like kefir (not applicable here, unfortunately, but still very good for you) and HYDRCODONE. or is it OXYCODONE? well, it's a pain killer and a miracle worker. I don't know if you're allowed/be able to just rely on an occasional pain killer, but if you can, they are wonderful.
GOOD LUCK!! love you

KDPrice said...

Mary Elizabeth,
Have you tried going to a chiropractor? I go to Dr. Kurt Price (no relation) in Arlington. There are a few of us from school that go to him. Anyway, his wife had severe migraines and once she went through and had adjustments she is migraine free. Insurance (Cigna) covers them. I'll bring you a brochure from his office about chriopractic and migraines if you want me too. Let me know!!