Sunday, March 6, 2011

Vice and Virtue

Ok, Lent is upon us. I need help deciding.

Here are my ideas for sacrifice:

1. Make-up: Because it is an exercise in vanity, but I may need to put on an exception. Because sometimes when an adult woman doesn't wear make up it's looks like she didn't bother getting ready...and I'm hosting a wedding shower April 2nd, I feel like I should present a "good face" that day.

2. Internet while with Wesley: I refresh facebook and twitter way too much, just because I can. I admit I have even put playing with my precious daughter on hold because I am blogging, or tweeting. I would love for this sacrifice to turn into reality.

Here are my ideas for addition:

1. One random act of kindness per day: self-explanatory

2. Scripture: I need to add reading scripture everyday to my life.

Ok, those are my ideas. Voting is appreciated and recomended. Also I would love to here what you are doing, if anything, to celebrate Lent.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the one about the internet while with Wesley. The time will come when she won't want to be bothered with hanging out with her ol' mom. Enjoy this time, while she does too.

Besides, like you said, you have to wear makeup on April 2nd anyway. That, or a tasteful but clear sign around your neck that says something like, "Shut up, I gave it up for Lent."

Mary Elizabeth said...

I am going with no useless internet while with family. I don't want to say I'm giving up facebook, cause that's just giving up something to give up something. I want to make a conscience change in my habits for the better of my family. I hope Lent is a jumping off point for better practices : )

Kendra said...

I was going to choose number 2 for both your sacrifice and your addition. But I would love to see you with no makeup on at my shower. Just know that any pictures taken could very possibly end up framed in my house or on our wedding website. You've been warned.

I too am a good Methodist-educated girl and have a vice and a virtue. My vice: talking sh** about a co-worker. I often talk badly about her, ignore her when I walk by her (and I say hello to everyone and smile at them when I pass them), roll my eyes while she is speaking to me, and my blood boils when I see her coming. I have prayed about it often before and feel like this will help me kick something that I feel has become a bad habit. I know it is something I will really have to call on my savior for often and I know that is the whole point. "Longsuffering and patience Lord, but HURRY!"

My virtue is counting my blessing at least once a day. It can be at night before I go to bed, or like today, in the car while driving to work. It's has been wonderful so far. I have so much to be thankful for, I shouldn't wait until November to think about them. I know I have already done it once today, but I think I am going to do it again right now. I'm going to count you this time!