Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Ashes Ashes, we all fall down.

Last night I took my annual turn in hosting our Bunco club. As always we had a blast. Though it is a tad intimidating to host because our group of girls happens to be chock full of professional hostesses. I mean the last girl that hosted made homemade chips!

When you host you are responsible for all food, drinks and decor...there must be a theme, we love a good theme. Laura did Valentines in Januray, because by the time I hosted in February Valentines would be over. I felt like it was two early for St. Patricks....so I went with Mardi Gras. I didn't take any pictures...sorry, but here's a mental snapshot. I had purple tablecloths, and each table had a centerpiece of purple, green and gold beads and coins. I prepared a blue cheese wedge salad for appetizer and guest had a choice between Sausage Gumbo or Shrimp Jumbalya with crusty french bread on the side. For dessert I made bought a King Cake. All and All, I think the theme was carried out!

So, since I spent all this time thinking about Mardi Gras, it led me to think about Fat Tuesday, which, of course, leads me to think about Ash Wednesday. And I started pondering, how will I celebrate this lenten season?

My tradition (stemming from the Methodist tradition I was raised in) is to sacrifice a vice and add a virtue. I have a strong aversion to those who just give up something for the sake of saying they gave it up. I include myself in this admonishment, I am way guilty. I wasn't grasping the meaning until about 3 years ago. No big revelation, I just started listening at church. Turns out me giving up twizzlers doesn't make me consider the sacrifice Jesus made....just saying. I want to give up something that is hard enough to make me call on him for help, and will make a change in my life. But not give up something that only causes me to be miserable and whine about lent to my friends. Or make me miserable so I just count the days down and go right back to it on Easter.

I haven't decided at all what I'm going to do. But I was wondering have you? Do you celebrate Lent? What has made the difference for you in the past? Anyone up for a accountability challenge?

No comments: