Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Alluvian

This past weekend Matt and I escaped to Greenwood, MS. I mean when you think getaway you thing Greenwood right?!!? It's okay if you don't really think that. I wouldn't have either if I hadn't heard from friends about The Alluvian.
The Alluvian is all you need for an amazing weekend. The hotel is in the middle of nowhere, MS but man is it nice! As soon as you walk into the courtyard everything is perfect. I would have taken pictures but this is vacation! Just trust me. In the lobby there were silver platters and bowls full of green apples, I touched one while waiting for the elevator and exclaimed "Oh, they're real" Matt burst out laughing, "Why wouldn't they be?" I didn't know why they wouldn't be, other then there were just so many of them, it reminded me of a fancy wedding I once attended.....
Anyway, when we got to the room I was greeted with champagne and strawberries! And a giant feather bed. Cue the choir AHHH! 

**Y'all, I dig sleep. Like a lot. For many years every present Matt got for me in same way involved improving my sleep-pillows, featherbeds, blankets etc. You would think someone who liked sleep as much as I do can sleep anywhere, not so my friends. I think I cherish it so because it is so elusive to me.

Anytime I sleep away from home I am nervous the bed won't be right. This was the definition of right. Like being hugged by satin feathers. If only I could have smuggled that bed out....

Next up on our adventure away was cooking school. I told you, The Alluvian provided everything--perfect bed and entertainment! All we did was walk across the tiny picturesque main street. Walk into a state of the art Viking kitchen and whip up lamb with polenta and tomato ragout! So much fun!! And we learned a lot of little tips and tricks for normal everyday cooking, too.

Day 2 at the hotel was dedicated to the spa, again right across the street from our hotel. I enjoyed an hour long body wrap, which was amazing. And Matt had his first spa experience with a massage and "gentleman's facial."
So no pictures, but this spa is now tops on my list of destinations.

We spent the rest of the day eating local cuisine (Delta Bistro BIG thumbs up!) And strolling the shops. After that it was cocktail/nap time. The evening was topped off with dinner at the hotel restaurant Giardina's it was sooooo yummy. If you go, whatever you do get the fried green tomatoes, do it. 




The next morning we slept late, ate breakfast in the terrace room, dawdled....watched our noon check out get closer and closer and then at 11:58 took the elevator down and checked out. Don't worry though, our getaway was not quite over. We still had 1 1/2 hrs in the car together, lunch AND the new Harry Potter movie. None of which disappointed.

It was such a refreshing 3 days. I missed my baby girl, and Matt did too. But I am a firm believer in parents taking time for themselves. I think it makes us better parents. Truly, not just because vacations are fun. I think our lives deserve balance. And when you take time to create that balance EVERYONE benefits. And I know for a video taped fact that Wesley Elizabeth had an amazing vacation with her Sissy too. I think all of us were equally spoiled! Thank you so much to Meghan and Ryan for keeping her and letting us sneak away!

3 comments:

mgw said...

I love lamp.

Anonymous said...

love this ME!! I had been looking for a great idea for Greg's upcoming 40th and i've just been inspired - thanks!! glad ya'll had such a great time!
Ashley

Laura said...

So glad you guys had such a great time! Just reading about it all makes me wanna go back...like ASAP! Gosh, that spa is so freakin' awesome. And the viking cooking school pretty much rocks too. Glad you made it to the Delta Bistro. I'll have to add Giardina's to my to-do list for the next visit.

Oh, and I remember the apples too, both at the Alluvian and that "fancy wedding"... :)