Friday, July 1, 2011

Memphis Fridays::Part 2

So I've decided this summer Fridays are devoted to learning about my hometown. I didn't plan this, but it has now happened two Fridays in a row so, that's what I'm going to do. Since I didn't realize this tradition, my last post will now be referred to as Memphis Fridays::Part 1, please make note so you can cite it correctly when discussing my blog with your friends.

My cousin Jen is in town from London. Pretty cool, eh? She's not from London, she's from California, I guess. I say I guess because she hasn't lived in the same place for more than a few years since she was 15. Her previous addressees include Uzbekistan, Thailand, Greece, and Amsterdam and I am leaving places out! She is a world traveler. Again, pretty cool. But she is making a rare visit to the states and so we needed to go to neat tourist spots. She had checked a great site, The Lonely Planet for what she needed to experience in Memphis and thus our Friday was planned!

**Note::It's extremely awesome to entertain someone from out of town for the day, I mean seriously, how many of us actually see all we should of our own hometown?


So we started the day at The Arcade. It's Memphis' oldest restaurant, circa 1919. And been the backdrop to scenes in "Great Balls of Fire. " "The Firm," "21 grams" "Walk the Line" and "Elizabethtown." All that is great, but it doesn't hurt that the food is AH-Mazing as well! I recommend the beignets, #8 Redneck Eggs (which is really biscuits and the best ever gravy). But there is so much, you really can't go wrong! I have eaten at the arcade a few times and I am so happy every time. Let me know if you want to go cause I almost ordered the fried peanut butter and banana sandwich today, but didn't because it was 9am.

We walked waddled from the arcade to the trolley stop and hopped on for a lovely ride down main street.
It was a nice way to let our food settle before we started our downtown walking for the day. After the trolley tour, we hoped off at the Civil Rights Museum. I had never been, but really wanted to go for years. It was fabulous! They have done an amazing job with sharing this pivotal piece of our nation's history. You start the tour with a documentary "The Witness" told from the point of view of the only man that was actually on the balcony with Dr. King. It is so moving. There is is so much to the story I didn't know, actually to be honest, it turns out I didn't know the story at all. I just knew he was killed here, and I assumed it was because he was a black man trying to change the world. But there was so much more, and so many more. The documentary was nominated for an Academy Award, and deservedly so.

You are not allowed to take pictures in the museum, and you know I hate breaking rules so I just grabbed two quintessential ones on the way in. This is where he was actually shot.
And this is the plaque (NOT to be confused with plague) The verse really hit me, so fortuitous and powerful.
After you do the museum, you can walk across the street and actually stand where James Earl Ray shot him, it is very eerie and heavy, but I think it really brought it home.

We left the museum and headed to A. Schwabs, the oldest general store in Memphis. It's closing, which is why Jen wanted to see it, before it was gone forever...and the history stuff, too. I have been to this store on several occasions and can I just say....I don't get it. Sorry. But I'm not really surprised it's closing. It's crowded and dirty and full of unnecessary stuff. And the "necessary" stuff is so overpriced! For example they had plain white t-shirts, $3.95 a piece. Seriously?!? A pack of four is $5.99 at Wal-Mart. And don't say it's the novelty, a plain white T is never novel.  Okay, rant over. Sorry Abraham Schwab, I'm sure it was great in your day.

We then swang? swung? swinged? by  The Peabody. Just to see it. And grabbed the only pic of me of the day. I may submit it to awkardfamilyphotos.com

So in our defense, here's what's working against us 1. It was wet b. My mom was trying to work my phone to take it and also we were in the middle of the tourist attraction others were trying to see, so we were hurrying. This little guy had a much better pose.


Next stop, lunch. One of my all-time favorites, always a home run, HUEYS! I had the french dip, Mom and Jen got the world famous burgers. We were all more than happy with our choices! No pics needed.

After we were stuffed for the second time, we grabbed the car and headed north to another museum I have never been to, and you have probably never heard of, Slave Haven.

This house was a stop on the Underground Railroad. THE UNDERGROUND RAILROAD Y'all. I mean really. Crazy history here. Again, no pictures were allowed, but I highly recommend it. Great way to spend 45 mins and $6.

So that was our tour o' Memphis::: Arcade-Main St.Trolley-Civil Rights-A.Schwabs-Peabody-Huey's-Slave Haven...Pretty impressive day, huh! Anybody up for the Pink Palace, Brooks or Dixon? Stax? Or do you have a better idea for next Friday? I mean nothing is going on next weekend, right?! KIDDING Kendra, XOXOXOXO

3 comments:

Kendra said...

hahaha! We could probably get in a few spots between 1pm and 4pm. I'd even be willing to treat everyone to lunch! But you have to be willing to wear a church-lady hat and a cute dress. I have never been to the Arcade but it sounds like something I would enjoy (cause you know I like to eat). And I didn't even know that A. Schwabs existed, let alone that it was closing so there's that. I've hit up the civil rights museum and slave haven on numerous church youth trips and they are quite an experience. Call me for Stax for sure. Never done it but I want to.

Laura said...

How fun! I want to do all of those things at some point. I've lived in this area my whole life and have only done the arcade and the trolley. That's pitiful.

Darrin Earl said...

Excellent choices! Got to love some Arcade breakfast!

Stax should also be a great visit, for Isaac Hayes' car if nothing else. Try out Cockadoos for breakfast next!

Jealous of your summer Frdays of exploration!