Thursday, December 15, 2011

Christmas Projects Part 2

First a confession: I do not have the decorating gene other women have. I can tell you what I like when I see it, but I cannot do it on my own. I must beg, steal and borrow to have any style in my home and wardrobe.

So it really stinks on the day after Thanksgiving because I am super excited about getting all the Christmas decs down and out and then I promptly get depressed because I have no idea where to put them. Matt has seen this happen like clockwork for 8 years now so this time, being the design genius he is, he gave me a great tip--pick one or two colors per area. OHHHHHHH so you don't just set out all your trinkets on every surface in your home? Got it. So I set out for Hobby Lobby with a plan, red, white, silver. Here's the thinking behind that color palette. I like traditional Christmas, red and green, holly, garland blah blah blah, and our dining room is green so if I stick to red with neutral accents it comes off Christmas, right?

So here are some shots of what I came up with, with lots of help from pinterst, better homes and gardens and my great husband.

Holiday card display.

 You may notice the ribbon is not straight, it was when there were no adorable cards....oh well, worth the imperfection!

Our tree. I love it, colored lights, all miss matched ornaments because each one has a story. This part I can do.

 Top of the piano

 Buffet (with Bixby the elf. Not part of the decorations I had just moved him there and forgot.)


Mantle in the livingroom, very simple, I like the Nativity to be the focus there.


What do you think? Ok? We are liking it : )

So speaking of decorating, late in November, I saw some really cute throw pillows on an end cap at Target. Like I said, I know what I like, I just can't think of it on my own. The pillows were just red with one white ribbon running over them, not a bow, just straight. We have 5 pillows, so at $11.99 that would really add up for something I truly didn't need. Then a few days later I was in Wal-Mart and they had red flannel on sale for 2.99 a yard! I have a sewing machine......

Before:

And after:


I am not confident in my sewing in a straight line skills, so instead I added a W monogram and a snowflake applique to the pillows. I also learned how to make button holes so I didn't have to sew in the pillows. I just sewed 3 sides and buttoned the fourth so in January the pillows will easily go back to normal. Total cost $7 for 4 pillows! They are not perfect, but they are mine : )

No comments: