Monday, May 7, 2012

Rushing the days away

As a teacher, of course I get excited about May, last month of school, beautiful weather, etc. But, like other teachers, I also notice myself wishing my days away. With countdowns and quick shout outs  "Hey, only 2 more Monday's" in the hallway. And I wonder is this harmless human nature or harmful mind tricks. Am I looking forward to a break or living in a state of discontent?

But how can I not look forward to June? No alarm clock, endless days with my girl, summer adventures, weddings, beach trips, picnics. It's really hard not to cross off the 13 1/2 days left (not that I'm counting) with a giant red marker.

And yet I am noticing it makes me sound so ungrateful. Summer is only 8 weeks long (cue the non-teachers, "I wish I got eight weeks off every year") Seriously, this job is super hard most days. Shaping and educating children is hard, and getting harder with new laws and mergers and lack of family support more and more. And so eight weeks does not make or break my profession. So why do we hold it as the end all be all? Should't I be content that I have a job I love? Should't I think "Thank you God for letting me have 13 more days to show these children someone cares about them, that I love them." ?

That is my prayer today.

Help me to stop wishing my days away for something better. Thank you God for today and help me enjoy it. And have mercy on me for getting over excited about beach trips and lazy days.

1 comment:

O.P.T. out (Old Person Thinking Outloud) said...

It is ok to be human. Looking forward to fun times does not make what you are doing in the moment less valuable. It is just being grateful for a respite from the stress and a time to rejuvenate the soul. We also get excited about coming back with new ideas and new plans. I get a real thrill when Walmart fills the aisles with new school supplies. I have already started planning my 26th year with a sense of anticipation. But I also know exactly how many days are left in this one. My garden beckons and Wesley needs some Gammatime.