Monday, December 24, 2012

Why you pack a change of clothes

One of my favorite things about Christmas break is heading down to Birmingham for Locke/Washburn family get togethers. This year, I was sad, we were only going for one night, and actually wouldn't even be in town a full 24 hours. But that's the way it fell this year. Anyway, when packing for the trip I really didn't over think it- pjs, change of clothes and toiletries. I should've known better!

I got the feeling I was underprepared before we even hit the Mississippi border, I had forgotten a blanket and pillow for Wes, and her nighttime cough medicine (as she has been recovering from bronchitis) but hey it's one night right? I could always run to Walgreens. It should have been an omen.

We rolled into the 'ham around 9pm, put Wes to sleep a little before ten and stayed up with our sweet family laughing and talking until about midnight, it's vacation and part of the fun. Then around 1:15am, you know just enough time to have fallen into deep, deep sleep, Wee cries out. It took us a second to remember where we were (in fact Matt jumped up and opened a closet to look for her) but then it occurred to me she may have wet the bed...we've only been night potty trained for 2 weeks. So as I walked back to her room it hit me, I only packed her one set if pj's 😞.

So I was very happy when I realized she was dry, just awake. I asked if she needed to potty while we were all up, and she did. After she went she started to cry again, I figured she just didn't want to go back to sleep in a strange bed, so I resigned to let her sleep with us. But as we walked into sweet cousin Lindsey's room, I heard it coming...oh no...yep...stomach bug. Four waves. For those who know us personally you know my angel is small for her age. Y'all, I cannot believe the amount that came out of this tiny, non-eating girl. We got her back to the bathroom, stripped her jammies off, only to discover bright red arms and legs, and shivers that indicated a raging fever. I felt so helpless. I got her in the bathtub and into dry clothes and back in bed and headed out for meds. This is what I learned next:

1. We should have all packed extra pjs
2. Siri is a lifesaver
3. The Walmart staff in Trussville, Al is super nice at 2am
4. Matt is the best, sweetest, most caring daddy ever (already knew that one)
5. Mommies can't go back to sleep after their babies have been this sick.

Of course I did drift off somewhere past 4 am with the thoughts we would need to get up and go soon to get this contaminated child out of the families Christmas parties. But as the sun rose so did Wee, with a giggle and a poke for me. She was completely fine. She wanted breakfast and the play dress up!

We told the family the adventure story and told them we would be on our way, but they said it was fine. So sweet of them! I'm sure they were thinking "gee thanks for bring the stomach flu" but they proceeded to be gracious hosts for us. So with strict instructions not to hug and kiss anyone, we all got to attend the family Christmas parties!

Family is the best. Love you all! And from now on I will be a much more prepared momma!

PS please excuse the ramblingness of this post and any typos, I'm blogging with 3ish hours of sleep and in the car.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So glad we got to spend a few hours with you all. We just need to find a way to do this more often. Love you guys!